Electrics at the Dragon - Day 2 - 3: Chelsea, MI to Genoa, OH

Day 2: Wet Weather Riding

Stats and Map:

Intended mileage

95

Actual mileage

95

Cumulative mileage

268

Number of charge stops

1

Charging cost

$2.24

Charging energy (kWh)

6.4 


Route

Today was shorter by design because of the weather.   As expected, it was pouring all day so I chose to only finish my original route from Muskegon to Genoa.  Sure enough, I got soaked despite my "rain gear".  I think I need another visit to Cycle Gear and get some actual waterproof gloves and maybe a rain overcoat.  The internal jacket liner sorta works but it still means my main riding jacket gets wet.  

Charging in Monroe, MI
Charging Stop

I probably could have made today's trip with a single charge, but to be honest I was cold and needed a coffee by the time I got to Monroe, MI.  The Red E Charge Rice and Shine location (PlugShare link) worked once I fiddled with a QR code and a credit card.  I was able to get the bike on the sidewalk and under the small awning (see picture).  However, I really wanted a coffee and a bagel, not Chinese food, so I braved the US-24 4-lane road crossing in the rain (twice).  



Final Leg to Genoa, OH

Wet weather riding... not fun, but part of touring
Since this is the first time I've been in Ohio with the motorcycle, I was hoping to stop and take a picture at the border of Michigan and Ohio, but somehow I totally missed it.  For what it's worth, US-24 was a bit of a nightmare with traffic in the driving rain, so it's probably just as well I didn't stop for safety's sake.  

Day 3: Plan for April 12

Another look at the weather and discussion with my current and future hosts made the decision to stay in Genoa one more day easy.  Once again, the specter of flexibility needs to infiltrate my desire to stick with the original plan.  Mike Tyson allegedly said “Everyone has a great plan until they get punched in the mouth.”  That's where I'm at.  

Stop Soldier Suicide Fundraiser

As part of this ride, I'm participating in a Facebook Stop Soldier Suicide fundraiser.  If this issue is important to you, please chip in a few dollars to a worthy cause.  I will post my mileage updates on that page as well as this page.


See you on the road!

In This Series


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EV Charging on a TT-30 30-Amp RV Plug

Plug In West Michigan Podcast - Episode 8 - EVs in Winter

2015 Tesla Model S P85D - Sold!