Electrics at the Dragon - Day 4: Genoa, OH to Pittsburgh, PA

Day 4: Genoa, OH to Pittsburgh, PA

Stats and Map:

Intended mileage

250

Actual mileage

250

Cumulative mileage

518

Number of charge stops

3

Charging cost

$0.15 (no kidding)

Charging energy (kWh)

7.3 paid + ~ 10 at friends' houses


Route

Today's route was more or less as planned from my friends Pam and Tom's house to my friends Karl and Mary's house.  However, there were quite a few detours due to road work, flooding, and a downed tree.  So the progress was slow along the lakeshore (little towns along the lakeshore with low speed limits), central Ohio (a million traffic lights), and the Pittsburgh approach (a really screwed up last hour or so due to that tree requiring me to go across a different bridge across the Ohio River).  

Lake Erie

The strong west wind did help push me along and I got really great efficiency when going westbound.  That meant I had a working range of about 150 miles and really didn't need to charge much.  Some of the charging stats above included the overnight charge, so not all was required during today's ride.  

The wind also whipped up some wicked whitecaps on Lake Erie.  

New Riding Gear

I stopped at Cycle Gear in New Olmsted, OH and picked up some new waterproof riding gloves and an rain jacket to go over my existing riding jacket.  I already have rain pants, but didn't don them on the Day 2 ride because I assumed the existing riding pants internal liner would take care of the rain.  

Let's hope I don't need this stuff again soon, but of course it's good to have it.  

Lunch with a Fellow Zero Rider 

Vince, my roommate at the 2023 Electrics at the Dragon event, lives in Strongsville, OH which was on my route.  So he invited me to stop in, get a charge in his garage and have lunch with him and his wife at a local Culver's.  One grilled chicken sandwich later, my bike was at 110% (extended range charge) and I was off southeast towards Kent and Columbiana, OH.   Vince will be trucking his Zero down to Electrics at the Dragon 2024, so we'll meet again shortly.  Thanks for the charge...I owe you a beer (or a bourbon)!

New State Borders

Although I failed to actually see the Michigan to Ohio border crossing, this is the first time I've been in both Ohio and Pennsylvania with my motorcycle.  I did manage to see and photograph the Pennsylvania sign.  

Tomorrow I'll tackle West Virginia.


Stop Soldier Suicide Fundraiser

As part of this ride, I'm participating in a Facebook Stop Soldier Suicide fundraiser.  If this issue is important to you, please chip in a few dollars to a worthy cause.  I will post my mileage updates on that page as well as this page.


See you on the road!

In This Series


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EV Charging on a TT-30 30-Amp RV Plug

Plug In West Michigan Podcast - Episode 8 - EVs in Winter

2015 Tesla Model S P85D - Sold!